Friday, February 8, 2013

Twigging the Thistles

"Twigging (verb to understand or realize) Thistles" will document the process leading up to hiking the Appalachian Trail, completing the amazing hike, and all the adventures in between. I will try to provide as many updates along the way as well as information for those interested in attempting their own hike. (i.e. facts, tips, equipment, etc.)
Guatemalan sunrise from Santa María

         I don't have a long-standing background in hiking. In fact, I had never attempted hiking until (3) years ago. I was living in Guatemala while volunteering full-time with a wonderful non-profit organization, the Highland Support Project (HSP). I never could have anticipated how rewarding that year and a half would turn out to be.  HSP and their sister organization, AMA (Asociacion de Mujeres del Altiplano) whose main office is located in Quetzaltenango, (in the Highlands of) Guatemala, work with groups of indigenous Mayan women and their communities in order to empower and provide opportunities for transformational development. By encouraging active participation, HSP fights to break the cycle of dependency in an effort to create sustainable and long-lasting change. (link which expands on dangers of dependency- HSP Mission.) Along with meeting incredible individuals and learning a new language (or at least attempting), I experienced a completely different culture and landscape. The beautiful region of Quetzaltenango or Xela (pronounced Shay-la) lies cradled among the mountains, attracting hikers from all over the world. One of the most popular and interesting hikes is Santa María, an active volcano that towers 12,375 ft above Xela. Those of us who travel/work abroad get much more out of our experiences than we could ever give back, but I believe HSP balances the scale impressively. It is an organization that I admire and, if not for them, I would have never attempted this trek.

      Those who have heard of my "purposed hike" have responded in various ways, but the majority leans toward, "Why [would you want to do something like that]?" (followed by, "Are you taking a gun?"). I'm looking forward to simplifying my life down to bare necessities, and [I feel] it's productive to sometimes push one’s material limits or deny oneself the luxuries (we are accustomed to which are many times considered a necessity).  As Vernon Howard said, "You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need". My outlook will most definitely be altered by this adventure in ways that I can't predict, but I imagine it could be similar to living in a developing country like Guatemala and forces me to look at myself, my values, and my possessions differently and with more appreciation. It will probably be the most physically demanding thing I will ever attempt... as well as incredibly emotionally straining. The A.T. will at times dampen spirits and push you to return home prematurely, but the reoccurring theme from everyone I've read or spoken with describes the A.T. as a place that will renew one’s faith in humanity. The trail becomes a community of people who look out for one another and perform "trail magic" (a kind of pay-it-forward, performing random acts of kindness).

MY PURPOSE:
         I've decided that, due to the inherent growth Guatemala provided me, I will try to give back in a similar fashion. That’s why I intend to dedicate this walk to fund-raise for the Nutrition and Cooking project that I helped to pioneer. The purpose of this program is to provide information about healthy eating to our Women's Circles and cooking class to show how to prepare these nutritious foods for their families (with a focus on children). It is also connected with an entrepreneurial aspect, allowing the participants to create small businesses by selling healthy treats! Since Guatemala has the highest rate of chronic malnutrition among Latin American children and the 4th highest in the world, there is a lot to be done! Hopefully this will not only be a time of reflection and growth for myself, but also grant me the ability to bring attention to a subject that I care for very deeply.

If you'd like to contribute to the Highland Support Project...

Click Here to Donate!

Or if you have questions about:
HSP: http://www.highlandsupportproject.org/
AMA: http://www.amaguate.org/
Taking volunteer groups to Guatemala: http://www.partnersinservice.org
Alternatives (HSP's fair-trade store in Richmond, VA): https://alternativesonline.com/store/

1 comment:

  1. Great entry!! I have complete faith in you that you will make it to Katahdin! You have the right attitude and ambition and that's all it takes to get you to your destination. There is no way to anticipate the many paths this journey will make in your life but you will a deeper understanding of yourself and what matters in life. Make it happen chick! I'm excited to watch your journey unfold <3

    ReplyDelete