Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Back in Action - June 27 - August 26, 2013

HOPEFULLY my "foot' is healed (after 6 weeks) because I plan to finish what I started "2 months" ago on 3/20/13.

Headed to Atlanta today with Ms. Janice and mom to connect me with my good friend, Andrea.   She will help me meet my bus at 7 AM tomorrow  and on to Washington DC via bus where I will stay with the Walton's for a day;  Mrs. Peg will give me a ride to Harpers Ferry WV (the psychological halfway point). I will be "skipping" about 400 miles of VA and returning after I have completed the remainder of the trail. I worried that if I started back in Pearisburg VA (where I left off) I would not finish before it snows up north. I will still be a thru-hiker (flip-flopper) if I hike the trail in one year. Although a little anxious about returning I bet that once I get my pack on I'll feel right at home :)

6/28/13:  So much for plans!!!  Apparently hiking to Va. was easier than taking the mega-bus to DC....for it took 23.5 hrs (had bus failure with 4 hrs. on side of road, missed connection in Charlotte, AWFUL customer service).

6/29/13:  BUT despite their best efforts, I made it to my destination!  Big thanks to "Ms. Peg" for delivering me back on AT at Harpers Ferry!

The staff at ATC (Appalachian Trail Conservancy) in Harpers Ferry was the nicest and most concerned people about my whole situation of having to leave the trail for 6 long weeks to recuperate.  Thank you for showing that you cared!  Most of Harpers Ferry is a tourist town due to the history it played during the War Between the States.  I spent a zero day there before resuming my trek.

My first day back hiking was "ruff" although my toe did pretty well.  My feet hurt, starting over again to get my trail legs back, and it is soooo hot; at night I sleep on top of sleeping bag (feels like 80 degrees at night) and sweat profusely.  If you camped outside the tent the mosquitoes and bugs would literally carry you off.

7/3/13:  In Maryland today and will soon cross the Mason-Dixon line.

7/6/13:  Shaky legs, bad back and bloody feet---summer hiking is a "whole nother animal!"

7/8/13:  Just crossed the Mason-Dixon line (into Yankee territory for the first time) and not even 30 minutes later my bag was robbed!  Soooo very thankful for the good in the midst of bad because it wasn't my "cards," camera or money "taken without permission" from my back-pack 'not allowed inside' (minding its own business in front of Dollar Store); but it was phone charger, connector for camera, ibuprofen esp. for my foot, etc. which I can replace with temporary discomfort.  Later I had second thoughts on this subject and wonder if this episode may have happened a little earlier when my bag lay at top of hill while I went for water down the hill.   At least we had great Trail Magic last night and now headed for Duncannon, PA by Sat. for the hiker feed----"I will hike for food" is my motto.

7/12/13:  Passed half-way point (1100 miles) today! Who-hoo!

7/28/13:  NJ  has been rocky but beautiful trail views and pleasant weather.  I love the abundant wild life and saw my first bear on the trail today.

8/2/13:  "Lemon Squeeze" in NY state.

8/3/13:  34 miles from NYC.

8/4/13:  Train-ride away from the "Big Apple."

8/5-8/7/13:  In NY.

8/11/13:  AT hiker, Caitlyn Cleary, said "Rainbow Bright" literally RAN for a sandwich" today.  OK!  I admit it, I am not "swift" but I get there!

8/14/13:  In CT.

8/23/13:  At VT border discussing a flip flop--VT, NH, Me, (some of PA/VA) left to do.  I (we) are worried about time and winter weather.  I've completed Nobo (Northbound) GA, NC, TN, W.VA, NJ, MD, CT, MA &NY (over 1100 miles).  Comment from Baby Ruth back in NC regarding weather, "True!  I almost died in W. Hartford, VT during Hurricane Irene!"

8/26/13:  Decision made to"Flip."  Hitched a ride to NH and heading North!  Then---- on my return South, I'll do VT, and the missed parts of PA/VA.  I might finish the AT the beginning of November.








No comments:

Post a Comment