Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2000 Miler Application

I think it's fair to say I didn't exactly have a "normal" thru-hike. Never having backpacked before, I wouldn't have predicted that 9 months and 9 days after I started at Amicalola Falls, I'd be climbing down into Pearisburg VA completing my thru-hike. Broken down, my hike looks like this:
Northbound:
Springer Mountain, GA - Pearisburg, VA
Harpers Ferry, WV - Pine Grove, PA
Delaware Water Gap, PA - Williamstown, MA
Hanover, NH - Katahdin, ME

Southbound:
Hanover, NH -  Williamstown, MA
Delaware Water Gap, PA - Pine Grove, PA
Harpers Ferry, WV - Pearisburg, VA

I feel I had an unusual opportunity, one that most hikers miss out on. I've experienced the complete spectrum of the Appalachian Trail. I started with thousands in March heading north, never alone for even one day, to the late solo Southbounder. I saw all the seasons, some a little more than I wanted. The Trail Days "Da-Massacre" is obviously the most famous of my trail experiences, but I'd have to say that the most memorable is the people...the community. I set out on this adventure with no idea what I was doing, but hoping it would help me to connect with a positive group of people. For me, the trail has been about creating relationships. I love my hiker (trash) family and the community that has surrounded us. They provided unconditional support, trail maintenance, kind gestures, open arms (and cars, homes, and food pantries). :) Our hikes would not have been as memorable or enjoyable without these most gracious "angels". (this includes the amazing ATC crew!) I am forever touched and the "trail magic" that we receive and it is life changing. We are better people because of "trail angels" like you. And even though I sometimes don't have a name (or a face); I'm so thankful to have you, even for a moment in my life. Thank you for your efforts (no matter how small), because you make a difference to someone somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment