Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Winter Hiking...a Whole New Beast

This final winter-southbound (SOBO) completion section has been challenging in a very different way than my NOBO (northbound), crowded spring start. I felt (and still feel) that because I had hiked 1600 miles; I could handle whatever I came across and if I couldn't I would know when to call it quits.

I am sitting in Front Royal Virginia, procrastinating a return to the mind numbing cold. Its two days before Thanksgiving and the current weather (in the city not on top of a mountain) is 15 F. While obsessively checking the weather these past few days, I'm continually reading phrases like "feels like 10 degrees", "high of 36, low of 16", "ice pellets", and "15-30 degrees below average" and the good news keeps coming.

I'm so late that people don't recognize me as a thru-hiker. I get stares that seem to say.."she looks like a thru-hiker...that pack is too big to belong to a day hiker.. but only an idiot would still be out there hiking." So I get the usual bombardment of questions with the additional jewel of wisdom..."Its cold out there...you're really late huh?" or "You're hiking by yourself!?!?". After a pause, and they have time to pick their words appropriately.."You're a tough/brave chic" but what they mean is "what the hell is wrong with you?. I have gotten scolded by overly protective parents saying they wouldn't ALLOW their daughter to do something like this and that they are certain my parents are terrified and I'm being selfish by putting them through this whole ordeal. I respond with well I'm 28 years old... That means nothing to these people.

I've had so much support through Vermont, Pennsylvania and Virginia. Lots of people have put me up or driven extended distances to shuttle me to/from the trail. Meghan is even going to drive 3 hours to come get me for Thanksgiving! YEA Trail Magic!


No comments:

Post a Comment