Monday, March 25, 2013

First Week Up-and-Down-Date

3/20/13:  Left Atlanta EARLY Wednesday morning and arrived at Amicalola Falls State Park. Signed in their log (I'm thru-hiker 531) and started off around 8:30 am. The approach trail begins here and is about 8.8 miles of trail leading up to the actual Appalachian Trail. (So basically I walked a day extra that doesn't even count :) ) The falls have a RIDICULOUS number of steps... like 600. It could have been a million and probably felt the same. Neverthless, we hiked from the falls (which were beautiful) to a shelter 2 miles past Springer Mountain (11.6 miles) the first day! That first night in the shelter was a very COLD 27 F with wind chill in the lower teens or single digits. (got different numbers from different  folks).

3/23/13:  Reached Blood Mt (highest point on the AT in Ga.) on the way to Neel's Gap, the first resupply station.  I was probably the only one who did not need to buy food bc I still had so much and was able to give some away.

3/24/13:  Have a new hiking partner, Elliot, (from Maine).  She rode the bus to Ga. in order to walk back home.

3/25/13:  My average mileage so far is between 10-13 miles per day!  I've walked in the rain, mud, super cold, windy, and today was crazy cold with snow all day. I've decided after extended research (11 miles) that hiking and camping in the snow and subfreezing temps are BY-FAR my least favorite AT experience and is stupid.. It sucks.....and I am not making a habit of doing that crap again. I fell numerous times in the snow, broke my water bottle and the water froze in my back pack...so I had no water.  So instead, I'm taking my first zero day tomorrow in Hiawassee (week anniversary) bc the weather is supposed to be dumb again.  Besides, last night I had a furry visitor (mouse) come in my tent in pitch black dark after midnight that scared the crap out of me. But I got it out quickly and it didn't eat my tent or gear. Rodents are the worst pests on the AT I have been told.  Haven't seen any other wild life, other than a beautiful hoot owl one morning.  Hopefully Wednesday will start to clear up.

Was given my trail name today: "Rainbow Bright" bc of my colorful clothing options :)  probably bc I was  walking in the rain in a lime green raincoat, purple hat, lavender scarf and turquoise shirt.

I've been hiking with a really cool group of folks. A solo female, 2 solo males, and 2 guys from Florida. Everyone has been really nice and helpful!! :D

2 trail magics so far and they were AWESOME :)

**Cliff Dodson and Truett Goodwin came to visit at Neels Gap yesterday and took me to dinner. It was wonderful :) Thank you both!!!!




1 comment:

  1. Rainbow Bright = PERFECT! :D

    So glad that you're on a grand adventure...keep us updated and PLEASE let me know if you need anything at all, ok?

    ReplyDelete